There are a few surefire ways to tell that it’s school holidays around here.
1. Children who are unable to get up on time for school miraculously leap out of bed at crack of dawn to watch TV.
2. Everyone is so pleased to be able to stay home and do nothing for a change that a million playdates and excursions have to be planned to alleviate the boredom.
3. We mortgage our house to pay for movie tickets for five people to the latest kids’ movie.
4. The ducklings’ love/hate relationship with each other escalates to new heights/depths.
5. Their mother starts looking around for a cardboard box big enough to ship at least one child overseas.
6. Maternal patience starts to wear veeeery thin. As in “Muuum, the dog hurt me – she dug her nails into my foot.” Me: “I don’t care if the dog disembowelled you, I don’t want to listen to any more of your whining.”
7. Dinner conversation devolves into a succession of slightly off jokes. You try eating pizza with broccoli on it with someone saying: What’s green and hangs from tall trees? Giraffe snot!