Sunday 5 October 2008

Guess what?!

Okay, don’t strain yourselves, you’ll never guess. Besides, I’m dying to tell you.

Got an email today with the news every aspiring writer wants to hear:

“We are happy to advise you that your story ‘Pre-Dinner Drinks’ has been selected for publication in ZineWest 2008 and is eligible for the competition prizes.”

I’m going to be in print! Admittedly, only in a small regional magazine, and payment is a free copy, but still. My first published story. Thirty-two entries were chosen for publication from 108, and all those are now eligible for the grand prize of $400.

I have no expectation of winning that. In fact, I was sure they wouldn’t take the story. After I’d submitted it I showed it to my writing group, and they convinced me it was unfinished. So I dreamed up a new ending and was just waiting for the rejection before I revised it and submitted elsewhere. It’s funny how these things work out, isn’t it? I think the writing group was right, but somebody else thought the story was good enough as it stood. I guess it shows you shouldn’t try to secondguess these things. Some people will like your work and some people won’t, and you’ll never know which is which till you send it out.

I tell you what, though, there’s nothing like an acceptance to give you a confidence boost! Look out, world. This is but the first step in my fiendish plan. Today, ZineWest. Tomorrow, NYT bestseller list.

No harm in dreaming, is there?

8 comments:

  1. Big smiles on this side of the ocean, celebrating for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pandababy. Some pretty big smiles this side, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Marina, you're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jaye. It's small, but it's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the acceptance for publication!!! Branching out into short stories is something I've recently decided to do.

    I realized since I've concentrated on writing novels I've yet to actually submit anything for publication. So, I decided to join in the short story market. (Not just to get into the submit process, but to also explore different writing styles such as 1st person).

    Anyway congrats on your first sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, CE.

    My reasons for writing short stories are much the same as yours. Also I find it easier to practise the mechanics of plot, characterisation and voice, etc, in the smaller, enclosed world of a short story than the more sprawling space of a novel.

    Plus with my notoriously short attention span it means I can actually finish something before I lose interest in it!

    ReplyDelete