Wednesday 5 November 2008

Emergency: Send more chocolate!

That munching sound you hear? That’s the sound of my brain being eaten alive by the Nanomonster living inside my skull.

Ye gods! Send more chocolate. I don’t know if I can keep this up. I’ve been writing with a splitting headache all afternoon. It wasn’t until I’d nearly finished that I realised I’d been writing all about my heroine’s splitting headache. Is it just me, or is that a bit Twilight Zone? Is art imitating life or vice versa? I’d better be careful I don’t make her pregnant or something. Maybe she should win the lottery?

My brain is in total meltdown. This novel-writing caper is taking up all the room in my head. You wouldn’t believe what I did tonight.

I was making a cheese sauce. Usual procedure: melt butter in microwave, add flour, mix, add milk and microwave till sauce thickens then add cheese. Easy. So I get a full tub of butter out of the fridge, scoop a bit into the microwave jug and put the jug in the microwave for a minute on high. Only when the microwave beeps and I go to remove the jug, I discover that the jug’s still sitting on the bench. It’s the brand-new tub of butter that’s just turned to goop in the microwave.

Someone please remind me why I thought doing Nano again would be a good idea?!

My head feels like the tardis – bigger on the inside than the outside. The pressure of all those words in there fighting to get out is killing me. Or maybe it’s just the headache. I’m too stuffed to be able to tell. I’ve done 11,000-odd words in the last five days, which is a new record for me. Sadly most of it is probably crap. I know at least half what I wrote today was. It was even boring me to write it, so I don’t think I’ll be letting anyone read it any time soon. Fortunately for my sanity I eventually wrote my way through this suckfest and once or twice even achieved a zen-like state where words seemed to tumble out almost, well – easily. And they were good.

Maybe that’s why I wanted to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment